Although politicians of all colors and persuasions have used these one time or another, the rules also read like the manifesto of a major political party in the US, don't they?
- Maintain the problem at all costs! The problem is the basis of power, perks, privileges, and security.
- Use crisis and perceived crisis to increase your power and control. Force 11th-hour decisions, threaten the loss of options and opportunities, and limit the opposition’s opportunity to review and critique.
- If there are not enough crises, manufacture them, even from nature, where none exist.
- Control the flow and release of information while feigning openness. Deny, delay, obfuscate, spin, and lie.
- Maximize public-relations exposure by creating a cover story that appeals to the universal need to help people.
- Create vested support groups by distributing concentrated benefits and/or entitlements to these special interests, while distributing the costs broadly to one’s political opponents.
- Demonize the truth tellers who have the temerity to say, “The emperor has no clothes.”